Telling your children that your marriage is over is a conversation most of us dread. Do it well and in years to come they likely won’t remember the details; do it badly will make it a defining moment. So how do you tell your children about your divorce?
In this episode of Conversations About Divorce psychologist Dr. Azmaira Maker joins Mandy to discuss:
- The best time for this conversation
- What you need to say and what you don’t
- How to support your child after the initial conversation
- The reactions you can expect from your child, and
- If avoiding saying ‘divorce’ helps take the fear out of the conversation
Dr. Maker is the author of the newly published children’s book Family Changes: Explaining Divorce To Children. Featuring a colorful cast of fuzzy characters, Family Changes is aimed at children aged four through eight, helping them better identify, process and understand their own feelings, concerns and questions about divorce.
Leave a Reply