Telling your children that your marriage is over is a conversation most of us dread. Do it well and in years to come they likely won’t remember the details; do it badly will make it a defining moment. So how do you tell your children about your divorce?
In this episode of Conversations About Divorce psychologist Dr. Azmaira Maker joins Mandy to discuss:
- The best time for this conversation
- What you need to say and what you don’t
- How to support your child after the initial conversation
- The reactions you can expect from your child, and
- If avoiding saying ‘divorce’ helps take the fear out of the conversation
Dr. Maker is the author of the newly published children’s book Family Changes: Explaining Divorce To Children. Featuring a colorful cast of fuzzy characters, Family Changes is aimed at children aged four through eight, helping them better identify, process and understand their own feelings, concerns and questions about divorce.